www.ailoq.com - AiLOQ.com EnglishFrenchGermanItalianPortugueseRussianSpanish

Endodontist Corner: What To Do If Your Tooth Breaks

Endodontist Corner: What To Do If Your Tooth Breaks

One of the worst feelings you can experience is that unnerving cracking sound, followed by sharp pain during a meal. It means you’ve likely bitten down too hard and cracked a tooth. There are plenty of culprits responsible for broken teeth, from popcorn shells to hard candy. 

If you have a slightly chipped, partially cracked, or completely broken tooth, you’ll want to contact your dentist to see if the tooth can be saved first. If it can, your dentist will send you to an endodontist for help.

Endodontists specialize in treating the inner tooth, which consists of blood vessels, connective tissue, and nerves that support your teeth. One of their most sought-after superpowers is saving lost or broken teeth.

Here is what patients of all ages should know about a broken tooth, including the benefits of seeking an endodontist for immediate assistance.

If You Have A Crazing Fracture

If you spot a crack in your tooth without feeling or noticing its existence, you might have a crazing fracture. These types of tooth cracks will sometimes appear naturally over time along the exterior enamel. If there’s no pain, it’s likely a cosmetic dentistry concern, treatable with whitening treatments or veneers.

However, if you are experiencing tooth pain with these outer-enamel cracks, you should contact your dentist immediately.

If You Have A Split Tooth

If you’re tooth breaks in a way that the fracture seems to go all the way through the tooth, essentially splitting it in two, you have a split tooth. Unlike other bones in your body that fuse back together after a break, your teeth will not fuse themselves.

Depending on the location of your broken tooth, along with the severity of the split, your endodontist may be able to surgically recover one or both portions of the tooth. Regardless of what’s caused your split tooth, you’ll need to make an appointment immediately if there is any hope of saving the tooth.

If You Have A Cracked Tooth

An actual cracked tooth is a fracture that starts at the crown and stretches down toward the root. These types of breaks should be addressed immediately to assess if there is any damage to the pulp. If your tooth breaks in a way that your root may be impacted, a root canal and crown can be the likely treatment. If a crack extends too far below the gum line, extraction may be necessary.

If You Have A Vertical Root Fracture

For some people, a cracked tooth starts at the root of the tooth and travels upward. If you believe this is your scenario, you likely have a vertical root fracture. These types of cracks are more serious because they aren’t always easy to detect.

If you’re uncomfortable or experiencing pain, it could mean that the surrounding tissue is infected. In this case, endodontic surgery is recommended. And ultimately, many patients with this type of fracture will need to have the tooth extracted.

If You Have A Cusp Fracture

The cusp fracture is one of the most common types of tooth damage. A cusp break is when a portion of the tooth has broken off completely along the chewing surface. A crown can typically repair the broken area. An endodontist can evaluate and determine if further treatment may be needed.

Endodontists In Boynton Beach

What should you do if your tooth breaks? Regardless of the type of break you believe you have, it’s the endodontist who is most qualified to help. 

See Phone Number
View Listing

Member since 11/22/2022

Contact This Member
Contact This Member

Search Articles

Banner Ad
Banner Ad